Saturday, September 20, 2008

Grandma Marie's No Fail Fudge Recipe





(This is the card that I wrote the recipe on that Grandma gave me)
1 Large Can Evaporated Milk
4 1/2 Cups Sugar
3 Packages Chocolate Chips
1 Jar Marshmellow Creme (8 oz)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cups Chopped Nuts
2 Cubes Butter or Margarine
Cook: The can of evaporated mild and sugar. Cook and stir constantly til boiling. Lower the heat and continue stirring and boiling for 10 minutes. Then combine the rest of the ingredients. Stir until the chips melt. 3 or 4 minutes. Pour into a well buttered pan. Let set for 4-6 hours.
Makes 5 lbs
Hope's Story:
Lee and I had been married for only a few months. We lived in Seattle, and it only took about 45 minutes to an hour to Grandma Marie's house in Arlington. I had a day off of work, and wanted to make fudge. I made 3 batches, and failed (in 1 day). I started to cry. Grandma Marie called just as I was starting to cry. She asked if I was okay-I told her yes, and that my allergies were bothering me (I lied). She asked "really?" and then I started to cry and told her about my 3 failed attempts at making fudge. She asked me to come over, and she told me she had several recipes to give me for fudge. So I drove over to her house. We had a nice afternoon talking. She was the best for talking and chatting. I would go to her house once a month after that. I went over her recipes and found this one. She told me it was one she made often. I didn't have anything to write on, so she gave me some of her recipe cards. I wrote the recipe down and made it. I have made this recipe for 17 years, every Christmas. I always think of her when I make it, and when I don't.
This recipe has failed once, and it was a year or two ago-when Wesley was making it. He was at my house, I gave him the recipe and the ingredients-told him how to do it, and he burned the evaporated milk and sugar and did something weird. I don't know what-I think the heat was too high.